Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:05:29 +0300
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vlad@high.net.ru>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crontab option letters are too close on the keyboard

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 05:42:07PM -0500, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >	I wonder if crontab option -r is, err, standard/widely used in
> >	different unices than FreeBSD ?
> At a quick glance I see -r exists in HPUX, SunOS, and IRIX, so I guess
> the answer is yes.

	Bad luck :-)

> >	If no, may be it would better to change it to, for example, -R ? I've
> >	had situation when having pressed 'r' instead of 'e' (they are
> >	close!) I had lost my crontab ...
> Well you have a good point but it seems to be too late for that.
> Recover it from your backup tape.  Older unixes I've used did not have

	In that situation the easiest way to restore original crontab I've
	found was cron's log file. It helped much :-)

> -e, so I've become used to doing:
> crontab -l >/tmp/ct
> vi /tmp/ct
> crontab /tmp/ct
> Maybe that's a good thing.

	Yes, it works, but we both know changing option letter will be less
	pain for new/future users of BSD. (I do not insist on changing one,
	just thinking loudly ;-)

--
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru, vlad@high.net.ru