Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:35:35 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad ACPL asl's on motherboards

[From address modified because I don't want every message in this
thread to end up in my personal mailbox.  I'll read them in the
list, thank you.]

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 06:07:45AM -0800, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> I gather that there are quite a few Motherboards with bad ACPI asl's
> on them.  I know that my Abit BP6 sure has problems.  As a result I
> can't run ACPI.
>
> What are those of us with these motherboards supposed to to?
> But this doesn't help me much since I don't know what corrections to
> make to the original asl file.  Nor does it help the other people
> out there using BP6's.

I'm convinced that if we are going to keep insisting that ACPI is enabled
by default, we need to gather the various fixed AML's and commit them to
the tree.  I can't decide if they should be ports, or in /usr/src.

I personally would love to see two installation floppies, one with ACPI
on by default and one w/o.  Sysinstall should also allow one to turn ACPI
off for the next reboot (if one manages to get that far).