Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:46:15 -0400
From:      Brad Laue <blaue@sympatico.ca>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-stable] FreeBSD 4.3RC out of buffer space in network  operations

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> blaue@sympatico.ca (Brad Laue) writes:
>
> > Good thing you have a way out of it - unfortunately my PPPoE connection tunnels
> > through ed0, so it's my only public route to the internet :( Hoping this gets
> > noticed before -RELEASE
>
> Are you sure it's a serious problem?  From what you guys are saying,
> it sounds like you just need more mbufs...

Yes, it's very serious - netstat -m shows no overrun of any buffers,

nor does it demonstrate the need for additional space - everything

is under 10% capacity. As I mentioned, I have already maximized

my buffer settings to a point where this server would be able to

handle a midsized network, rather than a mere DSL modem.

MAXUSERS=    256

options NMBCLUSTERS="16384"

Further, this problem didn't occur before the last two cvsups. Any

further input is welcome.

Brad