Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2014 16:41:41 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@systemdatarecorder.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rrdtool and lua on FreeBSD 10.x anyone ?

On 29 June 2014 16:12, Stefan Parvu <sparvu@systemdatarecorder.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone here using rrdtool and lua ? I have seen that RRDtool has bindings for LUA
> but I was curious how one would get them compiled correctly. What I tried:
>
>  - # pkg install lua52-5.2.3_2
>  - configure rrdtool ... which ended up like this:
>
> checking for lua... /usr/local/bin/lua
> checking for lua >= 5.0... 5.2 found
> checking lua52/lua.h usability... yes
> checking lua52/lua.h presence... yes
> checking for lua52/lua.h... yes
> checking lua52/lualib.h usability... yes
> checking lua52/lualib.h presence... yes
> checking for lua52/lualib.h... yes
> checking lua52/lauxlib.h usability... yes
> checking lua52/lauxlib.h presence... yes
> checking for lua52/lauxlib.h... yes
> checking for library containing lua_call... no
> Lua headers found but not the libraries! Please reinstall the dev packages for Lua 5.2
>
> There are no such thing as a lua-dev package, does this sound a Linux thing or is there anything else
> I need to install ?

lua-dev definitely sounds like a .deb-specific thing.  The way
lua stuff is handled in FreeBSD doesn't always turn out as
expected, I've found.  Even defining DEFAULT_VERSIONS=lua=5.2
doesn't mean that lua stuff always uses a certain version (pretty
sure devel/luafilesystem still requires lua51, even though it claims
otherwise if you read the Makefile).