Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:43:24 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default value for maxusers

At 1:21 PM -0500 12/7/01, Robert Watson wrote:
>While reviewing and updating the content of tuning(7), I noticed the
>following text:
>
>      The kern.maxusers tunable defaults to an incredibly low value.
>      For most modern machines, you probably want to increase this
>      value to 64, 128, or 256.

>The first two sentences suggest that either we need to do one of the
>following:
>
>(1) Update the default maxusers value in GENERIC to something larger
>     (perhaps 64), and remove the text from tuning(7), or...
>
>(2) Remove this text from tuning(7).
>
>It seems rediculous to have a default that is known to be inadequate (or
>worse, "incredibly low").

Isn't this a case where GENERIC has a value set for "older, smaller"
machines, so it can be used for booting up any machine?  Most modern
machines may want 64 or more, but what happens for older machines if
we increase that value?

Another thing I sometimes wonder is if that value (MAXUSERS) sets the
right values for whatever it is setting.  I mean, I always increase
maxusers on my machines, but on the other hand most of my machines
never have more than three people connected to them at any one time.
Why am I setting "MAXUSERS" to 64 or 96 on a machine that only has 3
people logged in?