Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:04:50 -0400
From:      Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum setup

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 22:34 +0000, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Sven Willenberger wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 20:44 +0000, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> >>I just asked this on -questions, but I think I shouldn't have, it's a
> >>amd64 question ... I am having a miserable time trying to get vinum
> >>working on m y dual opteron system, does anyone know, does vinum work on
> >>  amd64?  I can't even include "device vinum" in the config file ...
> >>

> > afaik, all the vinum has been ported to gvinum ...
> >
> > /boot/loader.conf
> > geom_vinum_load="YES"           # Concatenated/mirror/raid driver
> >
> > nothing is needed in the kernel/conf file
> >
> > I have not tried gvinum with amd64 but on the i386 systems there are a
> > couple of gotchas I found. After creating the array I find it necessarey
> > to gvinum saveconfig or it will not be recognized on reboot. Also some
> > of the commands do not work yet. If you are not using gvinum instead of
> > vinum, I would start there and see how it goes ...
> >
> > Sven
> >

> Sven, if seems like 90% of the gvinum commands don't work ... they just
> yield "unknown command" which isn't helpful.  Three questions would help
> me, so I'll ask them.
>
> 1) how do I erase the existing screwed up config?  Reconfig is naturally
> one of the commands that isn't recognized.
>
> 2) for the subdisk command, the "length" parameter, I can't tell if this
> means the entire size of the subdisk, or is it possibly got something to
> do with the size of the mirroring bites?
>
> 3) I can't seem to attach the subdisks to the volume or plex, so the
> volume/plex size remains 0.  Again, "attach" isn't recognized).  The
> only way I have done things so far is to put stuff into the config file,
> and use "create" to read that.  How do I attach a subdisk to a plex or
> volume?

Based on the source code (/usr/src/sbin/gvinum/gvinum.c) it would appear
that gvinum supports the following commands:
void    gvinum_cancelinit(int, char **);
void    gvinum_create(int, char **);
void    gvinum_help(void);
void    gvinum_init(int, char **);
void    gvinum_list(int, char **);
void    gvinum_parityop(int, char **, int);
void    gvinum_printconfig(int, char **);
void    gvinum_rm(int, char **);
void    gvinum_saveconfig(void);
void    gvinum_setstate(int, char **);
void    gvinum_start(int, char **);
void    gvinum_stop(int, char **);
void    parseline(int, char **);
void    printconfig(FILE *, char *);

I generally do all my configurations using the file (gvinum create
<filename>) as I too find the commandline very limited. As far as
resetconfig, the only way I have found to successfully emulate this is
a) dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/<specific drive> bs=1k count=32
b) fdisk /dev/<thedrive>
c) bsdlabel /dev/<thedrive><theslice>

Generally the length is the size of the subdisk you are creating for the
plex, if left off or set to 0 (according the vinum manpage) it will use
all the available space on the drive you specify. I use the entire
subdisk I specify so I leave off the length command. My file, for
example just leaves of the length information.

Here is what I did to create a mirror of stripes using 4 drives:
# bsdlabel /dev/da1s1
# /dev/da1s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 71681967        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
  h: 71681951       16     vinum

# cat home.vinum
drive a device /dev/da1s1h
drive b device /dev/da2s1h
drive c device /dev/da3s1h
drive d device /dev/da4s1h
volume home
        plex org striped 480k
                sd drive a
                sd drive b
        plex org striped 480k
                sd drive c
                sd drive d

# gvinum create home.vinum
# gvinum l
4 drives:
D d                     State: up       /dev/da4s1h     A: 0/35000 MB
(0%)
D c                     State: up       /dev/da3s1h     A: 0/35000 MB
(0%)
D b                     State: up       /dev/da2s1h     A: 0/35000 MB
(0%)
D a                     State: up       /dev/da1s1h     A: 0/35000 MB
(0%)

1 volume:
V home                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         68
GB

2 plexes:
P home.p0             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         68
GB
P home.p1             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         68
GB

4 subdisks:
S home.p0.s0            State: up       D: a            Size:         34
GB
S home.p0.s1            State: up       D: b            Size:         34
GB
S home.p1.s0            State: up       D: c            Size:         34
GB
S home.p1.s1            State: up       D: d            Size:         34
GB

# gvinum saveconfig
# newfs /dev/gvinum/home
# fsck -n -t ufs /dev/gvinum/home