Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:07:25 -0700
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Sony SRX87 gets no interrupts

I've purchased a Sony SRX87 laptop, and am having little success getting it
to boot FreeBSD-STABLE.

The machine has no serial ports. I haven't yet painstakingly retyped the full
console output of a boot. But with a friend, I've hacked around enough to
have some idea of what's happening.

In short, the problem appears to be that FreeBSD isn't successfully
configuring the machine to generate clock interrupts of any kind! If I netboot
with PXE (using a known-good 4.6-STABLE kernel and known-good netboot
server), the laptop hangs hard in /sys/nfs/bootp_subr.c:bootpc_init()
as follows:

        /*
         * Wait until arp entries can be handled.
         */
        while (time_second == 0)
                tsleep(&time_second, PZERO + 8, "arpkludge", 10);

This tsleep() never returns! That is, time_second *never* advances beyond
zero. We added a printf() to clkintr() itself, and indeed, the routine is
never called!!

Messages indicate the kernel is using the standard 8254 timecounter.

This hang in the boot process manifests itself after ad0 is successfully
probed. This call to bootpc_init() is in cpu_rootconf(), which is invoked
directly by the SYSINIT mechanism fairly late in the boot process (after
all clock and device configuration, just before mounting root).

I should add that if I boot 4.6-RELEASE from a Sony PC-Card CD-ROM drive
(known to work on earlier Sony laptops with FreeBSD), that boot *also* hangs,
though after the "mounting ufs:/dev/md0c" message. My hunch is that hang
also occurs because the system isn't generating any clock interrupts...I
can't imagine a running kernel gets far without them.

Also: the kernel complains about not being able to route PCI interrupts
during boot for several devices. I tried pretty much every combination of
the hw.pcic and hw.ata options, I should add.

Anyone (Warner? :-) ) seen anything like this on any laptop, or have experience
with the SRX87 (or maybe the SRX77, which I believe is fairly similar)? The
machine is quite sweet, and I'd hate to have to give up on it in favor of
something bigger, heavier, and without integrated wi and fxp.

I worry that ACPI may partially be the culprit. The Linux Sony laptop list
suggests they had trouble routing interrupts correctly, and the answer had
to do with invoking ACPI to do the interrupt routing for some PCI devices:

http://returntonature.com/pipermail/linux-sony/2002-July/000881.html

Any bets on whether it's worth trying CURRENT with ACPI enabled?

Thanks!

-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu