Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:20:17 +0100
From:      Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RC2 Available

Thus Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> spake Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:56:58
+0100:

> Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav (des@des.no) writes:
> > > Not cost-effective?  What is the "street price" of 16 GB disk
> > > space these days?  About the same as a couple of Big Macs?
> > That's roughly half of a common 36G SCSI drive, and still a fairly
> > significant chunk of a 73G one.  Granted, you probably don't get all
> > that many high-memory systems with just one or two dinky disks.
>=20
> Don't blame me for your decision to use the most expensive type of
> storage available, especially when it has been conclusively shown that
> expensive server-grade disks are no more reliable than cheap consumer-
> grade disks.

Hm. During the last ten years I for myself installed about 1,200 SCSI
HDs at customers (plus those that were installed by EMC in storage
systems at customers' sites) and at least thrice the amount IDE/SATA
HDs.

There were hundreds (!) of defects of the consumer grade IDE/SATA HDs,
beautifully spreading over the whole spectrum of brands and models
used.

Number of SCSI drives dead: Nine.

I tend to believe there *is* a reason for companies to build
SCSI/SAS-only products, be it 'Workstations', Workstations, Servers or
storage systems.

YMMV, though.
=20
> DES