Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:20:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig(8) refactoring -- YACC grammar now online

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:12:42PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > What I've thinking about a lot is to make the networking system and
> > ifconfig sort of class-based like newbus and geom.
>
> Look at: http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nifconfig/nifconfig-design.txt
>
> There is a pending change to if_gre to enable it to be easily classified
> in this way; ifconfig would simply query the interface for its if_type.
> This is one way to do it without having to change struct ifnet. We could
> add a new field, but avoiding changing the ABI is a Good Thing.

if_type seems like it will work for high level classes of interfaces, but
something more fine-grained will be required for interfaces that implement
multiple classes or subclasses (i.e., 802 generally, and also 802.11b).
Or likewise, tap interfaces might implement 802 generally, but also
if_tap-specific primitives.  Do we need to probe by-name for capabilities
using interface ioctls, or return a "list" of implemented
interfaces/classes to allow things to be a bit more multidimensional?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research