Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 15:59:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

In article <20000511103225.B5531@dragon.nuxi.com>,
David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 08:53:24AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> > I say again: the problem this mass renaming would address is (a) not
> > very important and (b) solvable by other means.
>
> (a) I disagree.

Well, that's why we're having this discussion. :-)

> It has caused me pain in upgrading Bintuils.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my understanding it
doesn't cause pain for a make world, or a normal kernel build, or
anything that 99% of our users would ever want to do.  That's why I
said it's not very important -- hardly important enough to spam all
those filenames.

> (b) What is the way.

I would think that you could work around it by modifying one of the
*.bsd.mk files and/or the Makefile for whatever you're trying to
build.

John