Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 00:50:21 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > > You can download the source from
> > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6999
> >
> > Doesn't work on AIX or Solaris.  I haven't tried it on SCO,
> > mostly because I believe it will be a waste of time to do so.
>
> You've tried it on AIX and Solaris?

I've tried compiling it there.  At the time I tried (last month),
it did not compile successfully.

> > > You can get Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
> >
> > I already have Netscape.  You guys were arguing about Netscape
> > not working, and then you go and point me at Netscape... sheesh.
>
> Uhh Mozilla != Netscape 4.x

Netscape 6.x.

Without the Netscape connection, it fails to support Java.

> > I'm pretty sure that Galeon a whole bunch of stuff, plus
                        ^requires
> > the Galeon stuff, to work.  People were complaining about
> > it on -hackers, just the other day, when it took them 8
> > hours to pull it down over their 28k modem.
>
> I can't parse the first part of that sentence.

Sorry; I've inserted the missing token... 8-).

> As for big downloads.. Netscape is not significantly smaller. Netscape
> 4.79 for AIX is around 13 Mb vs 16.5 Mb for Mozilla. Personally I think
> the 3.5Mb would be worth it for a browser that crashes way _way_ less
> and has many more useful features.

But it's binary.  And it's supported.  And it's not explicitly
labelled as "for testing purposes only!" on the download lead-in
page.

> > Can you point us at *binary* releases for versious OSs?  For
> > 28k modem users, this puts them in the 1.5 hour range for a
> > 14M download.
>
> Did you visit the mozilla.org URL I posted?
> Here it is again http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
> All the operating systems I listed had binary releases.

Yes.  This is the page where it said the code is for testing
purposes only, in a dark bold font.  The size argument vs. the
browser that comes with the OS is:

	Mozilla		17.9M
	gtk+
	glib
	gettext

> > PS: UNIX people tend to use UNIX for everything.  This includes
> > browsing.  It doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to run some
> > other OS, if your intent is to not run that OS on your servers,
> > as well, so a UNIX ship will have UNIX desktops, and they will
> > probably be the same flavor of UNIX as they have deployed for
> > their hosting facilities, since it also makes little sense to
> > have to keep people up to speed on several OSs, rather than,
> > say, doing useful work.
>
> What an interesting, but highly irrelevant point.

How long ago did you read the subject line?  8-) 8-).

> Can't say I agree, but it's a different issue to what we're talking
> about.
>
> I would consider my office a 'unix shop' but we do have Windows machines
> here. Lack of a decent Office suite or PCB and schematic tools tend to
> prevent me from installing FreeBSD on all of our machines (and believe
> me I'd like to).

-- Terry