Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:42:29 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MLEN < write length < MINCLSIZE "bug"

In message <199812151555.PAA07456@netrinsics.com> you write:
>Together, these performance optimizations at different
>levels of abstraction can interact badly, under a particular set of
>circumstances, but is that really a bug, per se?

Ok, it's a performance problem, which was introduced by a performance
enhancement.  Therefore, it's a bug in the original enhancement. =)

>It seems that we only get the "parallelism" if the write length is more
>than one mbuf and less than two.

You get it also if it's more than the length of a cluster (and particularly
multiples of the length of a cluster, e.g. a 64k write).

>Is there any documentation on why MINCLSIZE is currently set to the value it
>is?

Not that I know of, but I can't say for sure that there's not something
in the 4.4 daemon book.  You know what the main tradeoff is of reducing
MINCLSIZE (and there are some subtle ones too - set your socket buffer
to 64k and start writing in 120-byte chunks and see when the socket
buffer fills up).

  Bill