Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB thumb drives for bootable flash FreeBSD installation...

I'm going to run FreeBSD off of a flash drive on some older mac mini systems.

Before I begin, though, I'd like some advice on the best USB thumb drives for this.

These systems will be deployed and left in place, hopefully for YEARS in a remote, inaccessible location.  So, I'd like to make sure I get the most durable, fault-tolerant USB thumb drives possible.

I'm not going to swap on them, or do lots of log writing, etc., but still ... I really don't want to fly across the world just because this one component died.

Are they all the same, or are there some USB flash choices that are more durable and fault tolerant than others ?

Thanks.