Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:50:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gTmVpZ2FhcmQ=?= <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running out of space

S=F8ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> types:
> I'm running out of space on /usr
>=20
> How do I figure out what under /usr takes up most space?
>=20
> I have build some ports, can I easily remove the source, and how do I=

> do it?

Others have pointed out du and xdu, but have missed the possibility
that you have a file system mounted on /usr.

I prefer "du -xa /usr | sort -rn > /tmp/usr.space" That lists all the
files on /usr and how big they are. For directories, it lists the size
of the everything in the directory. Then sort it so the biggest things
are at the top of the list, which makes pruning easy. If you'd rather
use xdu, the same thing works.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?=09=09A: Tell them your plans.