Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:16:35 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ricardo AG Almeida <ricardag@ag.com.br>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makesendmail

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 12:49:36PM -0200, Ricardo AG Almeida wrote:
> At 03:22 13/01/1998 , Doug White wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Doug Jolley wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know why the makesendmail file is missing from
>>> the /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/src directory of the 2.2.5
>>> distribution from Walnut Creek CD-ROM?  More importantly,
>>> is someone trying to tell me something by this omission?
>>> TIA for any input.
>>
>> I don't see a makesendmail file ever being there.  If it ever was there,
>> it'd be in the CVS repository, and it's not.
>
> I had found the same problem when I had to apply some patches in sendmail "by
> hand". The READ_ME file at the /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/src directory states
> that:
>
> *********************
> !! DO NOT USE MAKE !!  to compile sendmail -- instead, use the
> *********************  "makesendmail" script located in the src
> directory.  It will find an appropriate Makefile, and create an
> appropriate obj.* subdirectory so that multiplatform support
> works easily.
>
> I've found, however, that running "make" works ok.

This message is directed to non-BSD users.  The standard Makefile
requires BSD make (which, of course, is what you have on FreeBSD), and
won't work with System V or GNU makes.  This message is probably
overly cautious, however: there's a directory with all sorts of
Makefiles which you could use if you were running a non-BSD machine.

Greg