Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Burks <dbx@atmos.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tapping on a mousepad -- 2.2.5 vs 2.2.7

Greetings,

I am running currently running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on our laptops at work and
am in the midst of upgrading them to 2.2.7.  However, I have run into
one gotcha.  The laptops have a touchpad, and under 2.2.5, I can quickly
tap it and have that interpreted as a left mouse button under the XIG
Neomagic X server.  Under 2.2.7, I can not tap, whether I use the XIG X
server or a freshly constructed XFree86 server using the unaccelerated
Neomagic patches picked off the Web.  The touchpad works perfectly as a
mouse in all other situations.

For another point of information, at home, I also use a touchpad under
FreeBSD 2.2.7, and taps work just fine.  The only difference is the lat-
ter is attached to a serial port and the laptop touchpad to a PS/2 mouse
port.  Was some change made to the "psm0" driver between 2.2.5 and 2.2.7
to remove the tap?

Has anyone else seen this symptom -- or even fixed it?  Any pointers,
fixes, or information is very welcome.  I want my tap back!  :)

Doug Burks
dbx@atmos.washington.edu