Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 1996 19:30:48 -0700
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@interramp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy install problems with distributions

Yes, I like the floppy install ;-).  (My only choice, really).

I had 2.1.0R working just fine and decided to upgrade to 2.1.5R.  After a
couple of bad starts, I thought I had figured out the _new_ floppy handling
process.

For 2.1.0R, I chose Novice install, and after inserting the first diskette
with the bin distribution on it, the process continued to prompt me for
additional bin diskettes until all were installed.  Then, based on my
selection of distributions, the process asked me for another distribution
diskette containing at least the .aa file.  This continued until all
selected distributions were installed.  Very nice.

The 2.1.5R release has chosen to use the .inf file.  I'm o.k. with that.  I
have not seen any documentation on how to handle the new way, other than the
exchange of helpful messages here, of which I too have contributed.  So I
figured out that the .inf file needed to be on the first diskette with the
.aa file.  After the first attempt, I then realized that the diskette
containing the last .?? file of the distribution needed to at least contain
the .inf file of the next distribution that you wanted to install.  If not,
the upgrade process would stop and complain that the remaining distributions
I had selected could not be installed, most likely due to the fact they were
not on the media.  Duh!

So, I thought, "I've got it now", always plan such that the next
distribution's .inf file is on the same diskette as the final file of the
current distribution being installed.  Well, I made it through bin,
manpages, info, and then poof!  The upgrade process stopped, complaining
that the remaining distributions could not be found!  Yet the proflibs
distribution (at least the .inf file) was on the same diskette as the final
info file.  So I gave up starting over and let the process finish.

Now, I have looked through the FAQ and handbook, and I have even run
sysinstall, to see how I might complete the installation/upgrading of the
remaining distributions (proflibs, src, des, doc, and X), but can't find
anything (am I going blind?).  Any help or guidance would sure be appreciated.

And as I get better at FreeBSD, I will continue to contribute help here
where I can, and might even be willing to assist on improving the floppy
installation portion of the documentation!!

Thank you in advance for any and all help.  Great system and thank you to
all of you who have worked so hard at making FreeBSD what it is today.

John