Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:11:36 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Brad Benson <bradley@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: outlook mail  was:(RE: Logo merchandise)

Brad Benson wrote:

> > That aside, the key feature of Outlook is the remarkable ability to
> > both piss people off with HTML e-mails while being infected with
> > prank-viruses like Melissa and Happy99.  Those Micro$oft folk are
> > geniuses, aren't they?
> >

> First I have to say that I'm not a fan of Microsoft in any way. I also have
> to admit that I use Outlook98. Yes there can be some extremely annoying
> problems with HTML mail and such, but users with a little knowledge can
> easily disable such features. As far as handling large amount of email goes,
> I couldn't survive without the auto sorting features built into outlook. As
> far as prank-viruses go, almost any windows mail program can be dangerous if
> you don't pay attention to the attachments that come in your mail. I think
> it should be said that most people should think about what could be in an
> attachment they weren't expecting.

Granted, but Outlook's integration with Office opens the door to
things like Melissa, which only works when you've got Outlook and Word
97/2k.  Perhaps this is why I laugh every time I hear that some poor
NT admin had to take the mail server offline.

At least Netscape Messager has a very simple means of diabling HTML
and Java/JS in e-mail and news.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world