Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:41:35 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_Lindstr=F6m?= <anteln@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:

On Mar 8, 2005, at 11:02 PM, Andreas Lindstr=F6m wrote:
> It seems i have the same kmem_malloc problem as some others has had in
> their SMP computers that is running FreeBSD 5.3, however, it is also
> different... my problem doesnt occur after an extended period of
> running the server, it occurs randomly at bootup. Another difference
> is that it is not a 2GB memory machine, it runs at 128MB.

Could you be more specific about the problem you have?

> Now, since the previous fixes all said to increase the VM_KMEM
> settings im guessing this wont work for me since i have 128MB physical
> memory and 256MB swap (actually, ive tested it as well, doesnt work).
[ ... ] say "this module is using one hell of
> alot of memory so remove it and decrease the VM_KMEM and it should
> work"... seriously, why does the kernel use 320MB+ of memory?
> Something to do with the SMP code?

Which module?

I am almost certain that your kernel is not trying to use 320+ MB of=20
RAM on a machine with 128 MB of physical memory available, so it is=20
likely that you are misunderstanding something.  When you run top, the=20=

size of the kernel is best reflected by the "wired" category.

Speaking of which, what does top or "vmstat -s" say?

> And, if i have to get more memory... how much more should i get? Would
> 256MB be enough, or does FreeBSD 5.3 only run on 2GB+ machines now?

What tasks are you running on the machine?  FreeBSD will quite happily=20=

work as a mail server, router, firewall, stuff like that in 128MB, but=20=

if you are running X11 and a bunch of graphical apps, more RAM would=20
certainly help.

[ If you avoid running a dozen or so virus scanner/antispam perl=20
thingies like SpamAssassin or amavisd with 30MB RSS each, you can run a=20=

lightweight mail server fine in 32MB, although FreeBSD 4.x or NetBSD=20
would be better suited for a low-memory environment than FreeBSD 5.x=20
is... ]

--=20
-Chuck