Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 05:48:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Cordula's Web" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        udo.schroeter@trionic-solutions.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial Distribution?

> Btw, I looked really carefully and couldn't find any FreeBSD-based
> commercial distro (if you don't count OS X). Am I just to stupid to find one
> or is this an idea whose time has not come yet?

A Linux distro vendor basically collects components from disparate
sources (kernel, gnu, libraries etc...) and assembles a OS. There is
no central entity which provides an integrated view of a Linux OS, so
there is a need for distro makers.

FreeBSD is different, because the complete OS is developed and
managed by the project, including ports. There is basically no
need for a distro maker, because FreeBSD _is_ the distro itself
(call it the _canonical_ distro, because nothing prevents you
from changing stuff and forking off a commercial version, let's
call it non-canonical "distro").

Any distro maker who wishes to fork off something from FreeBSD,
would be hard pressed to provide the same level of support as
the FreeBSD project itself. Any updates, security and bug fixes
etc. would have to be merged into the commercial distro (if it
wants to remain up-to-date), and this will by nature always
lag behind. It is usually not worth the trouble to maintain
a distribution besides FreeBSD. That is also the reason why
commercial vendors usually ship (nearly) unmodified FreeBSD
CDs, instead of maintining a completely different version.

In your special case, the advice to make a port that was given
earlier on this list, is very good, because you'd have to maintain
your port(s) (and only your port(s)) whenever you update your
commercial distro from the FreeBSD repo (which you could do
as often as you like and your resources and time permits).
What if a security bug is discovered, and immediately fixed
by FreeBSD? Would you commit yourself to do the same in your
commercial version? Just cvsup, and then apply your port(s)
and voila, a new fixed commercial version!

Ports are great, because you could even include diffs to the
kernel (you have a custom kernel?) and misc. config and
infrastructure files that make up the system. Turn that port
into a package, and have the package system handle the
transmogrification of an official FreeBSD snapshot into
your own custom version.

Good luck!

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/