Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Conroy <kennyj449@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux compatibility

About the Linux binary compatibility in recent and development
releases:

Can a user simply install and run a Linux-compiled version of
Helixcode's GNOME desktop?

Is there any RPM or dbpkg compatibility available?

How about Linux kernel modules?  My main concern is sound support,
specifically for the Sound Blaster Live! (the emu10k1 sound chip)either
through Creative's drivers or ALSA.  I don't care how as long as it
works.

Sadly, everything is linux linux linux these days, I'd like to switch
to BSD but if I can't use multimedia functions akin to or better than
those in Linux then I personally won't get much out of BSD.  Linux runs
fine on my desktop, but there is always room for improvement...

BSD will definitely become of interest especially for a firewall if or
when RR cable modems become available in my area, right now they
advertise that my county is fully serviced but a quick phone call
reveals that a small area that I just happen to live in is completely
devoid of their service and may be for another year.  I don't get it,
they have all the lines set up for it already... But I digress.

Another quick question: Is there support for USB printers and scanners
in FreeBSD?