Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2014 21:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel memory allocator: UMA or malloc?

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Rick Macklem wrote this message on Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:22 -0400:
> > John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > Rick Macklem wrote this message on Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:59
> > > -0400:

> > > From my understanding, the malloc case is "slightly" slower as it
> > > needs to look up which bucket to use, but after the lookup, the
> > > buckets
> > > are UMA, so the performance will be the same...

> > > Hmm...  I took a look at the code, and if you're stuck in
> > > btalloc,
> > > either pause(9) isn't working, or you're looping, which probably
> > > means
> > > you're really low on memory...
> > >
> > Well, this was an i386 with the default of about 400Mbytes of
> > kernel
> > memory (address space if I understand it correctly). Since it
> > seemed
> > to persist in this state, I assumed that it was looping and,
> > therefore,
> > wasn't able to find a page sized and page aligned chunk of kernel
> > address space to use. (The rest of the system was still running
> > ok.)
>
> It looks like vm.phys_free would have some useful information about
> the
> availability of free memory... I'm not sure if this is where the
> allocators get their memory or not..  I was about to say it seamed
> weird
> we only have 16K as the largest allocation, but that's 16MEGs..

I can't reproduce it reliably. I saw it twice during several days of
testing.

> > I did email about this and since no one had a better
> > explanation/fix,
> > I avoided the problem by using M_NOWAIT on the m_getjcl() call.
> >
> > Although I couldn't reproduce this reliably, it seemed to happen
> > more
> > easily when my code was doing a mix of MCLBYTES and MJUMPAGESIZE
> > cluster
> > allocation. Again, just a hunch, but maybe the MCLBYTE cluster
> > allocations
> > were fragmenting the address space to the point where a page sized
> > chunk
> > aligned to a page boundary couldn't be found.
>
> By definition, you would be out of memory if there is not a page free
> (that is aligned to a page boundary, which all pages are)...
>
> It'd be interesting to put a printf w/ the pause to see if it is
> looping, and to get a sysctl -a from the machine when it is
> happening...
>
> > Alternately, the code for M_WAITOK is broken in some way not
> > obvious
> > to me.
> >
> > Either way, I avoid it by using M_NOWAIT. I also fall back on:
> >    MGET(..M_WAITOK);
> >    MCLGET(..M_NOWAIT);
> > which has a "side effect" of draining the mbuf cluster zone if the
> > MCLGET(..M_NOWAIT) fails to get a cluster. (For some reason
> > m_getcl()
> > and m_getjcl() do not drain the cluster zone when they fail?)
>
> Why aren't you using m_getcl(9) which does both of the above
> automaticly
> for you?  And is faster, since there is a special uma zone that has
> both an mbuf and an mbuf cluster paired up already?

Well, remember this is only done as a fallback if m_getjcl(..M_NOWAIT..)
fails (returns NULL).
--> It will rarely happen when there are no easily allocatable clusters.

For that case, I wanted something that will reliably get at least an
mbuf without getting stuck in "btalloc".

If I used m_getcl(..M_NOWAIT..) it could still fail, then I don't even
have an mbuf.
If I used m_getcl(..M_WAITOK..) it could get stuck in "btalloc". Since
m_getjcl(..M_NOWAIT..) already failed, it is constrained at this time.

Also (and I don't know why), only m_clget(..M_NOWAIT..) does a drain
on the mbuf cluster zone. This is not done by m_getcl() or m_getjcl()
from what I saw when I looked at the code.

Note that the above uses M_WAITOK for m_get() and M_NOWAIT for m_clget(),
it may only get an mbuf and no cluster, but I can live with that.

> > One of the advantages of having very old/small hardware to test
> > on;-)
>
> :)

> > > Yeh, if you put additional alignment requirements, that's
> > > probably
> > > it,
> > > but if you needed these alignment requirements, how was malloc
> > > satisfying your request?
> > >
> > This was for a m_getjcl(MJUMAGEIZE, M_WAITOK..), so for this case
> > I've never done a malloc(). The code in head (which my patch uses
> > as
> > a fallback when m_getjcl(..M_NOWAIT..) fails does (as above):
> >    MGET(..M_WAITOK);
> >    MCLGET(..M_NOWAIT);
>
> When that fails, an netstat -m would also be useful to see what the
> stats think of the availability of page size clusters...

This has never failed in testing. The case that would get stuck in
"btalloc" was a:
  m_getjcl(..M_WAITOK..);
- same as m_getcl(), but sometimes asking for a MJUMPAGESIZE cluster
  instead of a MCLBYTES cluster.

The current patch still does a m_getjcl() call, but with M_NOWAIT.
Then, if that returns NULL, it falls back to the old reliable way, as
above.