Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:57:33 -0400
From:      "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
To:        "'Kris Kennaway'" <kris@obsecurity.org>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:37:02AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
> > **Warning, rant**
> > The ports collection is one of the crown jewels of FreeBSD.
> > Unfortunately, even as more ports committers are added, more and
> > more ports break or become harder to build.  On top of that,
> > pkg_add has become close to worthless now that the -r feature
> > is so fragile.  If 5.0 goes out and popular ports don't build,
> > it will hurt the image of FreeBSD.  Please, take a break from
> > adding new ports and/or maintaining your pet ports and fix some
> > of the broken-ness.
>
> IMO, the fault for this lies mostly with source committers who break
> backwards-compatibility and then don't bother to clean up after their
> changes (i.e. don't consider the impact of their changes beyond the
> source tree).  I don't think ports committers have been responsible
> for breaking about a thousand ports like source developers have over
> the past year or so.
>
> Having said that, we do badly need ports committers to work on fixing
> broken ports for 5.0-RELEASE.
>
> Kris

Yes, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was picking on the ports committers.
Changes due to standards compliance, architecture changes, etc, all
wreak havoc on ports, and hopefully the pace of that will slow down.
Unfortunately, the direction of FreeBSD is what it is, and the onus is
on the ports maintainers to keep their ports up to date and working.

Scott