Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:17:42 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   About Gated 3.5x on FreeBSD 2.2.2

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am seeking some help on configuring gated as an OSPF router on FreeBSD
2.2.2.

While the router starts and reads routes from a Cisco router (IOS 9.21(17),
AGS+), it does not add routes to the Ciscos route table.

I hope to use FreeBSD as an alternative to a $5k (Aust) Cisco 25xx for
choke and screening routers and while the screen won't need OSPF the
internal (choke) may.

(Routed is a less flexible alternative - I don't know how to inject RIP
metrics to the OSPF process so I must run RIP on the Cisco & this negates
the advantage of OSPF - avoiding broadcasting router tables)

Some details:

. The Cisco does not use OSPF security.
. Both routers are in the same area (0.0.0.0)
. The Cisco sends "hellos" with the default intervals - and I haven't
set an interval to gated
. Both routers share an ethernet

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

S Hopcroft
Australian Industrial Property Organisation (aka Patents Office)