Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:13:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@heretic.cybertouch.org>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: size of slices

On Wednesday, 31 May 2000 at 11:58:38 -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Christoph Sold wrote:
>> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> There's currently a 1 TB limit.  When it becomes an issue (or maybe
>>> before) it will be lifted.
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Ah.  It's a complicated warning.

>>> It looks to me as if you need to look at quotas.
>>
>> Greg has it to the point: Use the tool that solves the job, not a side
>> effect which reminds you of your problems.
>>
>> OTOH, in FreeBSD 3.x, the wd IDE driver had problems with partitions greater
>> than 8GB. For FreeBSD 4.x some mails report problems with the ad IDE driver
>> at about 32GB. YMMV. I do not know any such problem for SCSI disks.
>
> Well my original question stills has no answer nor a solution. On a
> single 20 GB h/d, I am unable, when installing from scratch, to
> select in the partition editor a slice for example of 12 GB for
> /usr. I would really like to know just how to be able to get this
> done without the message from the partition editor saying "size too
> big". Thus causing me to make a bunch of partions as is shown:
>
> lnb@heretic:~$ df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a     99063    26991    64147    30%    /
> /dev/ad0s4g   2032623  1574956   295058    84%    /data
> /dev/ad0s4e   2480982   153064  2129440     7%    /home
> /dev/ad0s4h   6076005  2722946  2866979    49%    /shared
> /dev/ad0s3g    353023     1755   323027     1%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s3e   5081581  1377594  3297461    29%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s4f   2032623        1  1870013     0%    /usr/ftp
> /dev/ad0s3f   1016303     5486   929513     1%    /var
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
>
> It their is a way to accomplish this, please, by all means tell me what
> must be done.
>
> I wonder what good reason there is for limitations on the size of
> each slice when the installer shows the amount of space left, yet
> you cannot use it in total.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.  I don't know what your
problem is, but it's not what you think.

> From a business perspective, if this drive was used for just data besides
> the OS installed I would have a small /usr and swap with tmp and var
> symlinked and all of the remaining space allocated to /data presumably
> for a multitude of users accessing and writing to what ever was permitted
> under /data. But as you see this can't be accomplished.

No, I see that you haven't accomplished it.

You've been around long enough to know that you need to give more
details.  What version of FreeBSD?  What drive?  What else on the
disk?  What exactly did you enter?  Did you have some other geometry
on the drive originally?  Why did you subdivide into 3 Microsoft
partitions?  Typically sysinstall will offer you *all* the space on
the drive, and it works fine for me:

=== root@wantadilla (/dev/ttyp4) /usr/ports/shells/bash2/files 19 -> df
Filesystem       1048576-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a                1984     1059      766    58%    /
/dev/ad0s1e               16490     7072     8099    47%    /home
/dev/da0h                 16824    12178     3300    79%    /src

Greg