Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 23:53:21 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <DAN@SlightlyStrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Evil sendmail issue

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:59:56PM -0500, Steven Lake wrote:
> 	Ok, I spoke too soon earlier.  I've solved all but two issues.
> One apparently isn't causing any problems, so I'm gonna attack the other
> one.  Users of pine, with the given exception of root, can't send mail
> from pine, but they can send mail from anywhere else, they can telnet to
> localhost, they can send mail from an outside source but none of the mail
> programs, elm, pine, mail, etc. can send mail.  I keep getting the
> following error:  collect: Cannot write ./dfg4ML3Emi000332 (bfcommit,
> uid=1001, gid=25): Permission denied
> queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfg4ML3Emi000332, uid=1001:
> Permission denied
>
> 	I also get a similar error to that when using Pine.  Any ideas?
> Are permissions broke somewhere that I don't know about?  It's not
> affecting productivity, but it is slightly annoying cause if I shell in,
> or another user remotely shells in they can't send mail.

Hi Steven,

This came up about ten days ago.  Here's the reply I posted then.

 This kinda looks like a problem with permissions on your spool directory.
 Check that /var/spool/mqueue is set like this:

  $ ll -d /var/spool/mqueue/
  drwxr-xr-x  2 root  daemon  512 May 13 19:07 /var/spool/mqueue/

 You also need to have sendmail's SETUID bit set so that it executes as
 root and therefore has access to (among other things) write to the spool
 directory.  The same holds true of exim and probably other MTA's as well.

 Just chmod 4555 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail and try again as a real
 user - I just got the same errors you report by breaking these permissions
 on both the spool directory and the sendmail binary.

Looks like the same thing you see.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \