Date:      2 Dec 1999 02:17:22 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing sysmouse(4)?

Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com> wrote:

> Characters are always 8 pixels wide, but can be 8, 14, or 16
> pixels tall depending on your video mode.  I can't seem to find an
> ioctl that'll tell me font height.

Summarizing the answer I got from Kazu:
You can use FBIO_MODEINFO (on -current) or CONS_MODEINFO (on -stable,
still available but deprecated on -current) to get information on
the current video mode, including character cell size. A fixed
width of eight should not be assumed. Use FBIO_GETMODE (on -current)
or CONS_GET (on -stable, deprecated on -current) to get the video
mode.

Now, if I could only figure out how to enable the mouse cursor.
MOUSE_SHOW gives EINVAL.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de