Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:13:09 -0500
From:      "Pieckiel, Kevin A" <pieckiel_ka@vdot.state.va.us>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI drive read-only?

I installed FreeBSD 4.2 via FTP and used CVS to update, build, and install
new binaries and a new (custom) kernel.  The machine has an Adaptec 3950B
SCSI card, one 4 GB IDE hard drive (boot and system drive), and five 18.3 GB
IBM SCSI drives (for data, hot-swappable).  This computer is to be our
fileserver.  Whenever I try to do anything that writes to the SCSI drives
(/dev/da{0-4}) I get "OPERATION NOT PERMITTED" as an error message.  I can
read from the drive just fine using dd:

dd if=/dev/da0 of=junkfile bs=1024 count=1024

But if I try anything to write to the drive, it fails.  Any clue why?  I'd
appreciate your help.

Kevin A. Pieckiel