Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 14:14:58 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Abraham J. Stephens" <stephea@aasis.albany-academy.org>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Colorado 120 QIC tape drives.

----------
From: 	Doug White
Sent: 	Wednesday, May 06, 1998 1:03 PM
To: 	J.A. Terranson
Cc: 	Abraham J. Stephens; questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: 	RE: Colorado 120 QIC tape drives.

On Tue, 5 May 1998, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> > 	DUMP: bad sblock magic number
> > 	DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

>You have to dump entire filesystems.  Amend this to

>dump 0af /dev/rft0 /

>and you'll be off and running.  (Note the addition of 'a' so that it will
>try to fill the tape first and not rely on the silly tape size defaults.)

Well, we're getting *closer* ;-)

# dump -0af /dev/rft0 /var
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed May  6 14:09:37 1998
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0s1e (/var) to /dev/rft0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 552 tape blocks.
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: write error 20 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no") y
  DUMP: Closing this volume.  Prepare to restart with new media;
  DUMP: this dump volume will be rewritten.
  DUMP: Closing /dev/rft0
  DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no") yes
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: write error 20 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no") n
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
#

This happens with every tape I've tried...  (No, they arent write protected,
and yes, they are known good tapes...)