Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 02:51:33 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        guru@sisis.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cloning machines with 5.4-REL

On 11/1/05, guru@sisis.de <guru@sisis.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've setup one notebook with 5.4-REL and used the ports collection
> to pick up what I wanted (KDE and all other stuff); this took
> some time, of course but run without big trouble; now I want to
> setup a second notebook with the same installation and my
> idea is:
>
> - just install the base system on the 2nd notebook,
> - NFS-mount the /usr/ports from the 1st
> - remove all the files /usr/ports/.../work/.install_done....
> - and just say "make install" on the new toy
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx
>
>         matthias
> --
> Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
> Gruenwalder Weg 28g / D-82041 Oberhaching
> Fon: ++49 89 / 61308-351, Fax: -399, Mobile ++49 170 4527211
> http://www.sisis.de/
rg"

You can safely omit the third step (removing those
files). Just run make install - and you're done.

A neater way would be to install portupgrade on
both machines, create /usr/ports/packages dir on
the first one, run something like
portupgrade -wWpaf, NFS mount /usr/ports on the
2nd one and use portupgrade -P <whatever>.

[Basically, it will create packages on the 1st
machine and then install ports from packages on
the 2nd one].