Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:20:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Elliot Isaacson <elliot_isaacson@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xauth failure when tunneling over ssh

> On Wednesday 12 November 2008 15:51:42 Elliot Isaacson wrote:
> > #UsePAM yes
> > #AllowTcpForwarding yes
> > #GatewayPorts no
> > #X11Forwarding yes
> > #X11DisplayOffset 10
> > #X11UseLocalhost yes
> > #PrintMotd yes
> > #PrintLastLog yes
> > #TCPKeepAlive yes
> > #UseLogin no
> > #UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
> > #PermitUserEnvironment no
> > #Compression delayed
> > #ClientAliveInterval 0
> > #ClientAliveCountMax 3
> > #UseDNS yes
> > #PidFile /var/run/sshd.pid
> > #MaxStartups 10
> > #PermitTunnel no
>
> Shouldn't PermitTunnel be set to yes  ?

Thanks for the suggestion. PermitTunnel has something to do with
using a specific software network loopback device, tun(4). I don't
think it has anything to do with forwarding traffic, X11 or
otherwise, through an ssh tunnel. Just to be sure I tried switching
that on, but it didn't seem to help.

This is a reiteration of the problem so no one has to sift though
the archives to find it:

$ xhost +

$ ssh -Y 192.ip.of.freebsdserver
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.

/usr/local/bin/xauth: