Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:53:13 +0800
From:      Clive Lin <clive@CirX.ORG>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISO image available?

Sorry for replying this topic, a little bit OT this time :-)

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:20:34AM -0700, Lars Eggert wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
> > Theres not a iso for -CURRENT .. It changes too much.
>
> Too bad.
>
> > you can make your own iso though. ports/sysutils/mkisofs
>
> Yes, I've done that before for -stable, but it involves a make world :-)

Relax, all you need is something like mirror/ncftp/lftp which could do
recursive grabbing and, well, /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh :-)

sh /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh would show a simple usage
message. That's all. If you want a bootable iso (of course you want
it), add a -b flag, which is only documented in the script itself :>

> Grabbing an ISO from somewhere and quickly doing a CD install to test some
> bugfixes would be much faster. (I'm not that interested in actively
> tracking -current; I just want to be able to quickly run it whenever
> someone asks for feedback on a change that'd affect our setup.)
>
> Isn't someone out there doing a nightly scripted make world? How about
> doing a make release after?
>
> Lars

I did make release before if I simply want a bootable and up-to-date
iso image, but it costs too much time. :> IMHO, unless you want a
customized, locally hacked cvs repository become a iso, you don't have
to expend time on making release.

Last time (2 days ago) I packed a releng_4 iso to install FreeBSD on an
old box, which has no workable NIC, no usable floppy, only a 12X
CDROM. The time consumes for make/burn the iso is around 10 minutes :-)

--
pub  1024D/F8D2B472 2000-08-05 Clive Lin <clive@CirX.ORG>
     Key fingerprint = 7F9D 57A8 55C7 AA18 49B5  3820 570B 27F6 F8D2 B472