Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 23:01:25 +0100
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dump and Tandberg QIC drives

Is there anyone out there familiar with dump? I have a Tandberg
MLR-drive that installes beautifully by FreeBSD. The problem is with
dump. It seems that it wasn't written for drives that can do 16GB on one
tape. If I try to make a backup of 500MB I get a īcalculationī from dump
that it should take 52.36 tapes to make this backup. So I changed the
density parameter to the value given by Tandberg 67700BPI. I get a
better value. Now I need only 2.54 tapes to make my backup. There is not
enough parameter setting to use with big tapes, as far as I can see. The
default tape length is 2300 feet. my tape is only 1500 feet, but can
still host 16GB.

Does anyone know?

--
                           __o