Date:      27 Oct 1999 20:51:14 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        "Broderick Wood" <bwood@KingsU.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and Make World

"Broderick Wood" <bwood@KingsU.ab.ca> writes:

>   I CVSUP the system and ports on a weekly basis and do a make
> buildworld after each system CVSUP.  How often would you
> recommend doing the make installworld?

Doing make buildworld without a make installworld is only useful for
exercising your disks.  The buildworld leaves the newly built system
in /usr/obj where nothing will look at it.  The next buildworld wipes
out /usr/obj and starts over.  It's the make installworld
that actually moves all the pieces somewhere useful.

--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com