Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:14:28 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make: don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop

Marcel Moolenaar stated:
: Kent Stewart wrote:
: >
: > My sequence was
: >
: > 1 make buildworld
: >         configing and trying to make a kernel didn't work here.
: > 2 make buildkernel KERNEL=OPAL
: > 3 make installkernel KERNEL=OPAL
: > 4 reboot to single user mode with /OPAL -s
: > 4a saved /kernel and moved /OPAL to /kernel and all of the chflags.
: > 5 make installworld
: > 6 mergemaster
: > 7 cd /dev and did a ./MAKEDEV all just in case :)
: > 8 reboot
: >
: > I don't know if some of these steps were overkill but they worked.
: > There are obvious cd's missing.
:
: This is exactly what you need to do right now. In the near future we
: won't require steps 3 and 4/4a anymore and thus have a single pass
: source upgrade...

Folks-

Let me get this straight...  I have always done the following---not
that this is the "right" way to do this, but it has worked pretty
well for me in the past.

1) make buildworld
2) make installworld
3) cd /sys/ARCH/conf
4) config -r KERNEL
5) cd /sys/compile/KERNEL
6) make depend && make
7) make install
8) reboot

Is this no longer "the way" to do it?  Admittedly if your kernel build
is hosed your world/kernel are out of sync, but at least, you are always
building kernel with config and compiler of the same cvsup.

Also, let me add to this little missive.  My way works too :)  I just
successfully upgraded through the binutils MFC.

While on this same thread, please someone tell me that when I build
GENERIC, it isn't going to build all the bloody modules again ...
I build a lot of different kernels, and it takes a _while_ to build
even a pretty trivial kernel on a PII 233 these days :(