Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:57:37 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sync'ng directories between two servers ...

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>   I've got a directory on ServerA that I would like to keep sync'd on ServerB
> ... to date, I've been using rsync for this, but what I hate with that is that
> it has to scan the whole directory on both servers to compare, putting a good
> load on each of them ...
>
>   Is there anything out there that ppl are using successfully that just looks
> at ServerA, and dumps across those files that have changed since the last sync?
> ServerB will never have any changes made to it, other then what ServerA sends
> across ...

Rsync is about as good as it reasonably gets, short of putting everything
explicitly under version control (ie, in SVN or CVS).  If you do put the tree
of stuff under VC, doing an update operation on ServerB will only need to
fetch the deltas made since the last update, without doing a comparison of the
unchanged files or placing much load on ServerA.

--
-Chuck