Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2016 12:14:29 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Illumos/OpenSolaris SMF to FreeBSD

Cy Schubert wrote on 06/10/2016 19:23:
> Hi,
>
> What are people's thoughts about porting Illumos Service Management
> Facility (SMF) to FreeBSD? The Solaris SMF didn't replace their init(8),
> it's started by their init(8) through inittab -- we could use ttys or
> replace init.
>
> Like DTrace and ZFS, SMF is CDDL. Does that matter?

There are some work on port of Launchd / ReLaunchd (jobd) / Open Launchd
/ nosh etc.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/launchd
https://github.com/mheily/jobd
https://github.com/freebsd/openlaunchd

https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2015-07-2015-09.html#The-nosh-Project

I personally prefer nosh but "anything" should be better than current state.

Miroslav Lachman