Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:02:09 -0400
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why does ssh require a password on new machine?

I jst installed a new FreeBSD STABLE box, and it seems to insist on a
password when I ssh from an existing machine. I've added the (I think)
appropriate entry to the ~/s.ssh/known_hosts fiel on the new machine.

Here is ssh -v on a mcahine that works:

Script started on Wed Oct  6 08:44:45 2004
stan@pmail:~$ ssh cogenal
Last login: Wed Oct  6 08:44:13 2004 from pmail.meadwestv
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (ALARMS) #2: Fri Jul 30 13:51:03 EDT 2004

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Before seeking technical support, please use the following resources:

o  Security advisories and updated errata information for all releases are
   at http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/ - always consult the ERRATA section
   for your release first as it's updated frequently.

o  The Handbook and FAQ documents are at http://www.FreeBSD.org/ and,
   along with the mailing lists, can be searched by going to
   http://www.FreeBSD.org/search/.  If the doc distribution has
   been installed, they're also available formatted in /usr/share/doc.

If you still have a question or problem, please take the output of
`uname -a', along with any relevant error messages, and email it
as a question to the questions@FreeBSD.org mailing list.  If you are
unfamiliar with FreeBSD's directory layout, please refer to the hier(7)
man page.  If you are not familiar with man pages, type `man man'.

You may also use /stand/sysinstall to re-enter the installation and
configuration utility.  Edit /etc/motd to change this login announcement.

ports/net/netcat port is useful not only for redirecting input/output
to TCP or UDP connections, but also for proxying them. See inetd(8) for
details.
$ ^D=08=08Connection to cogenal closed.
stan@pmail:~$=20
Script done on Wed Oct  6 08:44:55 2004

And here it is on the new machine:

Script started on Wed Oct  6 08:45:29 2004
stan@pmail:~$ ssh kilnal
Password:

stan@pmail:~$=20
Script done on Wed Oct  6 08:45:39 2004