Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:31:02 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@fast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP and Internal ISA Modem

    I had been having problems trying to dial out (FreeBSD
3.4-RELEASE,
FYI).  Eventually, I noticed that while booting, my modem card wasn't
reporting its resources during the PnP probe.

    There were a couple of things to do to fix it:

    1)  boot -c
    2)  pnp 2 0 os enable port0 0x3e8 irq0 7
        (This is for COM3/sio3.)
    3)  enable sio3 (either in visual mode from boot -c or by
        building a new kernel)
    4)  in ppp.conf, add "accept dns" and "enable dns" to the
        default setup, and change the device to /dev/cuaa2.
    5)  Enter ppp, terminal mode, and dial--it worked!
        (I don't have my login chat script ironed out yet, but
        that will come.)

The key to the puzzle was telling the kernel the PnP resource
information by hand, so that sio3 could be used for the modem.  If
you're having similar problems, do "dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.out".  Edit
the file, and look for the string "CSN".  It should be near the top,
as the PnP probe is one of the first things that the boot procedure
does when configuring devices.

    Now, if I can just get that pnp setting permanent, rather than
having to type it every time I boot, I'll be in business.

    I hope someone finds this helpful.

Chris BeHanna             "The fact that an opinion has been widely
Software Consultant        held is no evidence whatever that it is
behanna@nospam.fast.net    not utterly absurd."  -- Bertrand Russell

P.S.  A similar situation may exist if you can't get your sound card
to work.