Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:47:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDM/CHOOSER Xfree 401 and Xfree 336 on FBSD 4.2

Well, as I posted in the past here, I have lots of problems with XFree
4.0.1 and FreebSD 4.2. I think it's a major problem of XFree86 4.0.1.

The topics in short form:

I use three servers offering XDM/chooser on FBSD 4.2 based systems. Two of them
ran XFree86 4.0.1_8, one XFree86 3.3.6_4. All three machines offers a chooser
to diskless clients, booting FreeBSD 4.2 and XFree86 4.0.1. It had no
success getting a display from a host offered by a 401-chooser although
I could connect by direct query to each host offered in the chooser's box,
but never got any connect via chooser. The same behaviour is shown by XFree86
4.0.1 on two of our Linux boxes. That seems not to be a FreeBSD specific problem.

Well, the third machine has FBSD 4.2 also, but XFree86 3.3.6, and now I
downgraded one of the formerly XFree86 4.0.1 machines to 3.3.6. They offer
under the same configuration the same chooser, the same hosts and they let
me log in into other machines! CHOOSER out of 3.3.6 works, but not CHOOSER
out of 3.3.6! The same under Linux! I'm not very firm with Linux because
our backbone is based on FreeBSD here, but Linux offers under very moderate
configuration situations the exact same behaviour! So I should exclude any
trouble with IPFW or similar filtering tools or anything with autheticatio
schemes.

Well, I never read anything about problems or changes in how XDM works in
XFree86 4.0.1, so if there is anybody out here who has some information
he's very welcome to email me.

Thank you very much for your audience , and thanks a lot in advance :-)

Oliver

-
MfG
O. Hartmann