Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:30:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <melvin@mailmall.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Adaptec Quartet NIC

Melvin Brown writes:
> This is a 4-port ethernet card.  When I configure the IP Address
> information, the last thing that I am asked is "would I like to bring up
> this Interface?". I answer "yes."  So, do I still need to execute the
> ifconfig command?  Thanks for responding.

Please keep -questions on the list. Others may find the answers useful.

It depends on what you did after that. The interface needs to be
brought up every time you boot the system. The "yes" then brought it
up for the install process. If you then rebooted, it *should* be up
because the install process set up your rc.conf to bring it up. It
looks like ifconfig has lost the status indicator that I'm used to it
having :-(.

Check the ifconfig to verify that the address matches the address you
expect it to have. If it does, it's up, and the problem is probably
your network configuration. You'll need to send information about your
network (IP addresses for the two interfaces in the FreeBSD box,
netmasks, the addresses you expect it to see, etc.) to the -questions
list so people more knowledgable about the subject than I can help
you.

	<mike