Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:23:26 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, dinesh@alphaque.com, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD now runs in 4MB!

On 5 Aug 98, at 9:12, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm almost finished with preparing the new release of PicoBSD, and I'll
> let you know when it's available for download... this is only to let you
> know what are some exciting new features :-)

I'm very anxious to try out the new version.
When could we expect it?

I just got some new 10MB IDE Flash modules today!  I will be testing them
on a PC/104 386 card w/8MB RAM.  I will test booting and updating config
files from IDE Flash.  Can you make a version that does not use
compression on the kernel? (since I have such a large IDE Flash size)
One reason I'm want to try this method is because it is very slow to
decompress the kernel on a 386.  I would like it to boot much faster.

BTW,  I also have noticed something odd.  When booting from floppy with a
write protected disk, two write protect error messages comes up when just
mounting the floppy.  Why is that?  Does mounting the floppy cause a
write to it?  This is not good if every time it boots it writes to disk.
This can reduce the life on a IDE Flash drive.

I do not notice any write protect errors when mounting from a standard
FreeBSD system only from PicoBSD.

Randal Masutani