Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:49:39 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:42:22AM -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> The performance of the resulting binaries is good.  It's competitive
> with state-of-the-art JIT systems.  Meaning... sometimes faster,
> sometimes slower.  When it's faster, it can be much faster.  For
> instance, certain crypto operations used in SSL can run 10x faster than
> state-of-the-art commercial JITs.

What about garbage collection speed for short lived objects ?

That's critical for folks doing a lot of String manipulation and dealing
with the GUI framework generating EventObject-s every where.

> And, finally, we get some relief on memory usage as well because we
> build _shared_ libraries out of the enormous java core libraries as
> opposed to each process JITting it's own copy of the code.

Is it JNI compatible BTW ? Have folks talked about compiling the class
libraries from Sun so that they're useable with gjc ?

bill