Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:39:54 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General questions

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:35:48AM -0600, Jeff Palmer wrote:
> I'm creating a new port.  An addition to qmail.
>
> I've created and maintained other ports,  but this is my first "major" one.
> Unfortunately,  the porters-handbook is a little lacking  (I might send a
> -doc PR after I get these answers.)
>
> Anyway,  on to the questions.
>
> #1)    I don't want to hard code /var/qmail in the do-install:
>           However, my port doesn't seem to understand the
> ${QMAIL-INSTALL-PREFIX}
> 	as other ports do.  (e.g. mail/qmail-tls)
> How would I tell the Makefile to use the ${QMAIL-INSTALL-PREFIX} like other
> ports?

I believe the variable is actually called QMAIL_PORT_PREFIX; what exactly
are you doing, and how does it fail?  Can you post your Makefile, along
with some logs, to show exactly how is it failing?

> (I think the answer to number 1 will get me through number 2)

Quite possibly :)

> #2) After the port is installed,  how do I create the pkg-plist? nothing
> goes into
> 	${PREFIX} (/usr/local/)  most files will actually be going into
> /var/qmail/bin/
>
> would I create the pkg-plist with:
> ${QMAIL-INSTALL-PREFIX}/bin/file1
> ${QMAIL-INSTALL-PREFIX}/bin/file2  etc?

After you've done something like PREFIX?= ${QMAIL_PORT_PREFIX}, then
no, you don't need the QMAIL_PORT_PREFIX in the pkg-plist, too;
everything there is relative to ${PREFIX}, so you just need bin/file1,
bin/file2, etc.

> I have a plist creation script that I created from the porters
> handbook,  however,
> it creates an empty file now, because nothing goes into /usr/local

If you set ${PREFIX} properly, everything should work.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?