Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:41:54 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Access to serial ports from a jail

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:14:54AM +1000, BSD Freak typed:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyome know if it is possible to access serial ports from a FreeBSD
> jail. Specifically I want to run a server HylaFax inside a jail. Is
> possible, has anybody done it?

Hi,

From the jail(2) manpage:
     Inside the prison, the concept of "superuser" is very diluted.  In gen-
     eral, it can be assumed that nothing can be mangled from inside a prison
     which does not exist entirely inside that prison.  For instance the
     directory tree below ``path'' can be manipulated all the ways a root can
     normally do it, including ``rm -rf /*'' but new device special nodes can-
     not be created because they reference shared resources (the device
     drivers in the kernel).

Since the serial ports are shared resources, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Though you might try copying the needed devices from outside the jail, I
never tried this.