Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:11:23 -0400
From:      Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.on.ca>
To:        Sean O'Connell <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with stable (believed to be in -current as well)

Sean O'Connell wrote:

> Rod Taylor stated:
> : Wesley Morgan wrote:
> : >
> : > On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Rod Taylor wrote:
> : >
> : > > My server functions properly (harddrives inside).  My diskless machines
> : > > (mounting same filesystems via NFS) are having problems.  Thanks in
> : > > advance.
> : > >
> : > > bash-2.03$ top
> : > > top: nlist failed
> : > >
> : >
> : > If you installed a new kernel and have the original (or close to
> : > it) world, make world now.
> :
> : It's a perfectly matched kernel and world.  This is what I attempted to
> : show by stating that the diskless box and server run on the same
> : filesystem.  One mounted from the other.  Server works, diskless boxes
> : don't.  (Yes, they've all been rebooted since then).
>
> Is the kernel beining netbooted identical to the one in the exported
> diskless partition?   I would make sure that the kernel image in hte
> root of the exported filesystem is the same.  I can netboot for inst-
> allation purposes from a floppy.  I just have to be careful to keep
> the same kernel and etc files in sync (I install into a /netboot
> directory using:  setenv DESTDIR /netboot; make installworld ... ).

No, they're not identical.  However I created it, and moved it to it's
proper place.

Being as make installkernel KERNEL=FEH seems to ignore the whole:

makeoptions     KERNEL=kernel.diskless

seems to be completely ignored.

> The other way this problem can occur is if you load your kernel from
> the boot blocks (??) rather than from /boot/loader.

I'm unsure as to how a network boot even considers bootblocks or
loaders.  It's coming from across the network via etherboot.  Although
the etherboot client is currently on a floppy on most boxes (Bad EProm
burner).

--
Rod Taylor

"People get annoyed when you try to debug them." -- Larry Wall, 2nd
State of the Onion.

"A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your
mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein