Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:40:47 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba laptops

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 04:27:42PM +0200, Borje Josefsson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:16 EDT Wesley Morgan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tom wrote:
> >
> > > does anyone have any experience installing freebsd on a toshiba laptops in
> > > general or ( specifically ) the satellite 1415 S173?  what works/doesn't
> > > work?
> >
> > You'll want to run 5.0 for cardbus support.

5.0 runs well on my 2805-S201.  But buildworld is 30 minutes slower than
under 4.8.

> > The only piece of hardware that probably won't work is the modem. But who
> > needs modems any more, and you can always pick up a pccard modem that
> > works. I have a Xircom type3 that works fine for traveling.

My Xircom MPCI winmodem works just fine with /usr/port/comms/ltmdm/.

> I tried FreeBSD on my Portege 2000 last summer. While most things work
> fine, I couldn't get the function keys (Func+Fn) to work (for example
> Func+F5 to change between LCD and external video). It seems that all of
> those keys are not handled by the BIOS directly, but instead interpreted
> by Windows. If it was just for changing int/ext video, I could have lived
> with the problem, but not when LCD light, speaker volume etc also are
> affected :-(

My 2805-S201 works for interal, external, and TV-out using the Func+F5
combination.  TV-out isn't real great, but that's XFree86's problem not
FreeBSD's.

lambert@lambertfam.org