Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:18:10 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Sol=C3=A8ne_Rapenne?= <solene@bsd.zplay.eu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hosts

Hello, this is not possible.

If your need is only on the same local network, you can use net/avahi
(on EVERY HOST) which will allow you to use the hostname of the machine
+ ".local" as a domain to find it on the network.
Example, you freebsd machine with hostname "server1.my.fqdn" will be
reachable with address server1.local on your network. But avahi should
be installed (or Bonjour on Windows if I remember well) both on the
server1.my.fqdn and the client to make it working.

Kind regards