Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 00:52:01 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <Shane@007Marketing.com>
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2 - Fuzziness

On 5/9/2006 22:58, "Justin" <justin@pcmedicsite.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Installed FreeBSD 6.1R on a clean system over the weekend, and installed the
> gnome2 port from the ports tree (after cvsup'ing).  Everything installed
> great, no errors.  Ran the xorg configure from the handbook, went over good,
> background and cursor came up sharp.  So, I enabled gdm, and rebooted.  Once
> rebooted, X started, which the cursor was crisp, but when the Gnome login
> window appeared, it was very fuzzy.  I could barely make out the window.
>
> Is there some configuration step I missed in gnome or X?  Where would be a
> good start to read up on Gnome?  And finally, is there a better full "X
> desktop" to use?

Personally I have always preferred KDE. The full KDE package also includes
KOffice and a large range of apps.

One good thing I like is KDE will run the gnome apps but gnome won't run KDE
apps.
So you don't loose out on any choices with KDE.

It is in ports at /usr/ports/x11/kde3, but you may want to get hold of the
pre-built package and install from that.

--

Shane Ambler
Shane@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz