Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 01:55:54 +0100
From:      R J Thompson <jules.winnfield@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help Please...

Hi,

I recently downloaded a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.7.1, I am new to UNIX and
thought I'd like to have a look at what FreeBSD can do for me.

I installed the software, as described in the Install.txt file, and also
installed the boot manager, as I am running Windows 95 as well as
FreeBSD.

However, at the moment I have a problem, when FreeBSD boots it is
reporting that it cannot mount the root directory, the actual error
message is: "Panic: Cannot Mount Root".

Then it reboots the computer.

I have little idea as to what is going on here, is there a problem with
the way I installed the software or is my system configuration set
wrong?

I have 2 hard disks split into 4 partitions.  DOS/Win95 is on the first
partition of the first drive, FreeBSD is on the second partition of the
second drive.  This partition is about 500 meg in size.

Also, can you install only the binary files from a floppy disk
installation, as I couldn't find a way to install anything else than the
binaries from floppy disks.

I'd be greatful for any help you can offer regarding the problems I'm
having.

Many Thanks

Richard   (jules.winnfield@cableinet.co.uk)